The Consumer Affairs Committee tries very hard to help you find licensed & insured contractors to work on your homes, to educate you on what you should look for when hiring a contractor and to provide contact information to resolve complaints you may have against contractors. Files for over 200 contractors containing license and insurance verification and any resident comments are available at the CA Office and online for your inspection.
Consumer Affairs Register Information
You can view the Consumer Affairs Register list online by clicking on the link directly below. You can also see the Consumer Affairs Register Book located in the Community Association Office and is available from Monday through Friday 8am-3pm.. .
PLEASE READ THE CONSUMER AFFAIRS REGISTER DISCLAIMER STATEMENT:
The Association recommends that the owner verify all contractors, including those listed in the Consumer Affairs Register, are properly licensed and have the necessary liability and worker’s compensation insurance before contracting with or employing the vendor.
Under no circumstances does the Association recommend ANY contractors or vendors. However, a listing of registered contractors and vendors is available online or in the Community Association office in the Consumer Affairs Register Book.
A book with Resident Comments on contractors or vendors is available for your review online or in the CA office.
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO SUN CITY CENTER RESIDENTS
FROM SUN CITY CENTER COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION CONSUMER AFFAIRS REGISTER
Please be aware of door-to-door and telephone solicitations. A number of scams are taking place every day. Unscrupulous vendors are promoting services and products with disastrous results to our residents.
Do not pay a vendor in advance or before the work is completed to your satisfaction.
If you are not satisfied with a contractor’s work, please contact Consumer Affairs to fill out a complaint form.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING BEFORE AND AFTER HIRING A CONTRACTOR.
Suggestions for before and after you hire a contractor or vendor
- Do not be in a hurry to hire the first contractor or vendor. Obtain two or three bids on the work to be performed.
- Compare bids to assure all are complete and cover your requirements.
- Know your contractor: i.e. references, jobs done in the area, type of work he is capable of performing
- Is the contractor licensed by the county, state? Listed in the Consumer Affairs Register?
- Is the contractor or vendor bonded to insure completion of the work?
- Insist on a “no-lien” contract with him and his sub-contractors. Insist on a “release of lien” by all parties involved in the work being done for you.
- Items to be included in the contract:
- All licenses, fees, and permits are to be obtained and paid for by the contractor or vendor.
- What work is to be done by the contractor and what work is to be let out to sub-contractors?
- Date to start and finish work—approximate man hours involved by each sub-contractor and total hours to complete the job.
- Type and brand name of materials to be used: i.e. plumbing fixtures, piping, paint, roofing materials, cabinets, windows, etc.
- Job should be spelled out in phase order from start to finish with completion date.
- Contract should state which items belong to homeowner or are to be removed by contractor: i.e. old windows, doors, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, etc.
- What hours will they work: i.e. 7:00 am to 5:00 pm, nights, weekends, and holidays?
- They should list all warranties and guarantees by contractors and on each item purchased.
- Work area to be cleaned at the end of each workday, all debris to be removed from the job site by the contractor.
We value your opinion.
Please use the attached form to rate any company you have used whether you found them good, bad or just adequate and even if work was done in the past. We will keep your comments on file for community residents to review. Click on the link below to download the form. Please print it out, fill in the appropriate information and return it to the CA office at your earliest convenience. Thanks for your cooperation in this matter.